When it comes to fireworks, fire safety is the first thing to consider. In the event that you choose to use fireworks at home, following these tips will help to ensure that a safe and fun time is had by all.
An adult should always be present when fireworks are being handled. Around 45% of firework-related injuries occur in children younger than 15. Really small children should never handle fireworks at all. Even fireworks considered safe, such as sparklers, have been known to cause serious and even fatal injuries.
It goes without saying that fireworks should only be used outdoors. A garden hose or source of water should be close by. In the event of a “dud,” do not try to relight the defective firework. Let it sit for about 20 seconds untouched and then douse it with water and throw it away. In fact, all fireworks should be soaked in a bucket of water before throwing them away.
It is important to only light one firework at a time. Also avoid shooting or pointing fireworks at another person. Fireworks should not be aimed at or lit near brush or shrubbery as this can cause a fire.
Purchase only legal fireworks. Legal fireworks feature the manufacturer's name and directions for use. Illegal ones do not. M80’s and M100’s are examples of illegal fireworks. Though outlawed over forty years ago, they still account for many firework related injuries today.
Most importantly, follow local county and state ordinances regarding the legality of fireworks in a particular area, as each has their own governing laws when it comes to the use of fireworks.